HostMonster Joomla Hosting refers to the optional Joomla content management system (CMS) offered via SimpleScripts which comes free with your HostMonster web hosting plan. This article explains what Joomla! is, and how Joomla works.
What Is Joomla!?
Joomla! is a Content Management System (CMS) and application framework that is both free and open-source. It was developed from Mambo, and has such diverse capabilities that it has been used to build the websites for entities with such different needs as IHOP restaurants, Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and Citibank.
With Joomla! you can organize documents, images, video, music, audio, and more. Without much prior knowledge, it enables users to build websites for a variety of purposes, using a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor and provided templates. But that doesn’t mean that it’s only capable of basic site-building (as you probably guessed from the uses that have been made of it. First of all, there are modules available that extend its capabilities, and second of all, HostMonster Joomla! Hosting provides the tools needed to take advantage of more sophisticated aspects of Joomla! including building reservation systems, inventory control systems, HostMonster e-commerce systems, and more.
How Does HostMonster Joomla! Hosting Work?
Like many web hosts specializing in a single, all-purpose hosting plan, HostMonster uses an installer to provide access to a wide number of free, open-source software applications. HostMonster has chosen SimpleScripts, which provides over 70 applications, including Joomla! The beauty of HostMonster Joomla! hosting is that SimpleScripts provides “one-click” installation of your Joomla! software, providing you with the current version (1.6, as of March 2011), and also provides you with update notices when an upgrade becomes available, as well as providing you with any particular instructions that need to be followed during upgrades (such as deactivating plug-ins prior to upgrading and reactivating them after).
Getting Started with HostMonster Joomla! Hosting
To install Joomla! via HostMonster:
- Log-in to your cPanel and scroll to the category called Software/Services.
- Click the SimpleScripts Icon, and look down the left column of listings for the Content Management System group, choosing the Joomla icon there.
- Read the description and click the ‘Install Now’ button.
- Choose the latest version.
- Select the location where you want Joomla installed.
- Either allow SimpleScripts to assign a username and password automatically for administering your Joomla installation, or configure the choices yourself.
- Read the license agreement for Joomla! to make sure you understand the terms.
Check the box to show you have done this and agree to the licensing terms.
- Read the SimpleScripts Terms of Service. Check the box to show that you agree to the SimpleScripts licensing terms.
- Click the ‘Complete’ button.
Allow a few moments for the script to install. A confirmation will present you with your username and password for administration, plus links for documentation and support, which you can also reach through the Joomla! website.
Uninstalling HostMonster Joomla!
Should you need to uninstall Joomla! at any time and for any reason, you can use SimpleScripts to do this.
- Log into your cPanel.
- Select SimpleScripts.
- Your installed programs will be listed.
- Select the ‘Uninstall’ link under the program name.
- Confirm that you want to uninstall.
The program will be uninstalled and—unless you have previously saved the data in it—the data will be lost.